Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Things Writers Can Do That Normal People Can't

Writing has a lot of hardships, but it is also a lot of fun! Here are some things that we writer's get to do that normal people can't ;)



1. We writers get to live multiple lives. Sure you can live vicariously through a character by reading, but there's something different about creating that character from scratch and slowly developing him. In the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Writers aren't people exactly. Or, if they're any good, they're a whole lot of people trying so hard to be one person." Our characters are a part of us, maybe the parts we haven't quite explored yet. As a writer, we get to dive into those hidden parts of our soul and swim around a bit. The crazy stuff you'd never do in real life, that's what you get to do on page!







2. We're knowledgeable in random stuff. While writing my first novel, Mila, I had to do extensive research on ancient Rome and barbarian Britainnia. Previous to writing my book, I was never into history. In fact, it was my least favorite subject in school (with math centimeters behind). If I hadn't written Mila, I would not be half as knowledgeable in ancient culture as I am now.






3. Daydreaming is our job. When I was a little girl, I would pretend that the stuffed animals in my room were characters and I would have them act out the scenes I imagined in my head. Now, I still act out scenes in my head, I just do it with words. Every time we stare blankly out the window, we are opening ourselves to all kind of inspiration for our books. As writers, we get to watch movies and read books, and for us it's a form of research. When we are moved by a story, it inspires us to write our own. 







Now that you know why being an author is an awesome job, go get working on your novel!!


No comments:

Post a Comment